Hi valued carers,
We hope you’re all enjoying September and embracing spring (despite how cold and wet it seems to be). It’s been another busy month here at MHCV. Some of the highlights this month include:
- Presenting on carer awareness at the Canberra Hospital’s MHJHADS orientation training
- Attending the Mental Health Commissions’ Parliamentary Advocacy Day. We were able to talk to various Federal MPs and Senator Linda White about several issues of concern for mental health carers like NDIS access, workforce shortages, respite funding, and flexible carers leave.
- Contributing to the ‘Co-creating Safe Spaces’ project workshop, led by the Lived Experience Research Unit at the ANU Centre for Mental Health Research
- Taking part in the Child and Youth Mental Health and Wellbeing Services Network/Planning day, hosted by the Office of Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Working closely with the Office of Chief Psychiatry on several projects
- Providing comments/submissions to the PACER factsheet and draft ACT Health Workforce Strategy
- Continuing to attend and contribute to various committees and raise the voice of carers
We have also been lucky enough to welcome Joanna Bartholomaeus as our new ACT carer representative for the National Mental Health Consumer & Carer Forum. MHCV extends our heartfelt appreciation to Joanna for taking on this important role with our support, We are sure she will do a wonderful job!
In some other exciting news, we’re inching closer towards October AKA Mental Health Month – which means we have Mental Health Week (8th-16th) and National Carers Week (16th-22nd) to look forward to! Mental Health Week is coordinated by the Mental Health Community Coalition in collaboration with various community partners (including yours truly). There will be a bunch of interesting events for you to get involved in – find out more details down below. National Carers Week is also a great time to recognise and celebrate all the incredible carers that contribute to our community. Be sure to keep your eye out for all the events that Carers ACT will be hosting/involved in during that week.
As always, your voice is vital to the work we do and if you have anything you wish to share please feel free to contact us via email email@example.com.
All the best,
Catherine Joseph and Catherine Vonarx,
The Mental Health Carers Voice Team
Mental Health Carers Voice October 2023 Update
You can read the latest issue of the Mental Health Carers Voice October 2023 Update MHCV…
Mental Health Carers Voice September 2023 Update
You can read the latest issue of the Mental Health Carers Voice September 2023 Update MHCV…
Mental Health Carers Voice August 2023 Update
You can read the latest issue of the Mental Health Carers Voice August 2023 Update…